Don Thompson’s practice is devoted primarily to construction law. Before law school, Don worked for 10 years as a process engineer and project engineer‚ initially with Chemetics International Ltd. in Toronto‚ Ontario and subsequently with Delta Projects Ltd. and British Petroleum in Calgary‚ Alberta.
After graduation from law school‚ Don articled as a clerk to the Honourable Mr. Justice Lambert of the Court of Appeal for British Columbia and then at a large downtown law firm. Since joining JML in 1994‚ Don has been involved in numerous construction law cases‚ large and small‚ including cases relating to builders liens‚“leaky condos”‚ settling buildings‚ tendering claims‚ surety bonds‚ delay claims‚ claims for extra work‚ deficiency claims.
Education and Bar Admission
- B.A.Sc.: University of Waterloo, 1977
- LL.B.: University of British Columbia, 1990
- Called to the Bar: British Columbia, 1992
- Acting for owners, contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in numerous builders lien cases of all kinds, from very simple to very complex.
- Acting on behalf of owners, contractors, subcontractors, and material suppliers in numerous disputes arising from construction delays, defective work, contract termination and insolvencies.
- Acting as plaintiff’s counsel for owners of warehouse, retail, school and residential buildings to recover costs resulting from building settlement caused by improper design and/or construction.
- Acting for owners, contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in claims on performance bonds and labour and material payment bonds.
- Acting as plaintiff’s counsel on behalf of Strata Corporations to recover “leaky condo” repair costs.
- Acting as defence counsel on behalf of contractors and subcontractors involved in “leaky condo” lawsuits.
- Acting as plaintiff’s counsel in numerous cases to recover amounts owing to unpaid contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers, including claims under the trust provisions of the Builders Lien Act.
- Reviewing and drafting construction contracts on behalf of owners, contractors and subcontractors.
- Guest Lecturer on builders liens, British Columbia Professional Legal Training Course (bar admission course), 1994 – 2014
- Co-editor of the authoritative British Columbia Builders Liens Practice Manual, and author of the Solicitor’s Liability Chapter.
- Chair of the British Columbia Law Institute Builders Lien Act Reform Project Committee
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta,
1982 – present
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia,
1987 – present
- Canadian Bar Association, Construction Law Subsection, 1991 – present
- Law Society of British Columbia, 1992 – present
When not working, Don likes to travel. His longer trips have included a 10,000 mile European bicycle trip and a trip to South America on a 1969 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle.