Jane was called to the Bar of British Columbia in 2003 and has practised family law exclusively since September, 2004. She joined the firm in October, 2006 after practising with two boutique family law firms in the Vancouver area. Jane’s practice involves all family law matters, including those relating to children, property division, and support. Her considerable litigation experience has included appearances in the Provincial Court, Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal of British Columbia. Jane is also a certified mediator and practices collaborative law.
Education and Bar Admission
- B.A.: Simon Fraser University, 1993
- LL.B.: University of Windsor, 2002
- Called to the Bar: British Columbia, 2003
Jane has successfully negotiated settlements and separation agreements involving the transfer of significant assets between the parties, while minimizing the tax implications of the asset transfers in favour of her clients. She has obtained orders of child support and spousal support in favour of clients pursuant to the Federal Child Support Guidelines and the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines, respectively, and has successfully defended against the cancellation of child support and spousal support arrears.
Jane Reid’s practice includes collaborative law, mediation and litigation.
Jane has been a Contributing Author to the Annotated Family Practice (2009 – 2019) and on the Editorial Board of the BC Family Practice Manual (2013 – 2019). Jane has been a guest instructor at the British Columbia Professional Legal Training Course for several years.
Jane is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Family Law Advocates Group, as well as a member of the Trial Lawyers Association of BC.
Jane is the past chair of the Canadian Bar Association Family Law Subsection (Vancouver), and has been on the executive since 2008.
- The Use of Spousal Support Review Orders in Canada – Co-author of paper
- Happily Ever After…The End: Protecting Family Businesses in Spousal Relationships – Author of paper
- Imputing Income under s.18 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines – Co-author of paper
- Drafting Orders and Minutes of Settlement – Co-author of paper