David Mckenzie is one of the leading construction lawyers in British Columbia. David has spent his career developing his knowledge of construction law while acting for developers, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers as legal counsel in all aspects of the construction industry. Both a litigator and solicitor, he advises clients at all stages of a project, from procurement to builders liens.
David has represented clients in contract drafting and negotiations, mediations, arbitrations, and court proceedings. He is also a frequent chair and lecturer at construction law conferences for both the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia and the Pacific Business and Legal Institute.
Prior to law school, David farmed and was responsible for managing 8-10 human labourers and approximately 2,000,000 honey bees. When not working, David tries to have as much fun as legally possible with family, friends and acquaintances.
- Project counsel providing clients with advice on project disputes and builders liens
- Counsel responsible for preparing construction contract documents
- Counsel responsible for preparing procurement documentation for general contractors, developers, First Nations and public institutions
- Counsel for a contractor in an action to recover substantial amounts owed for work performed, including liening a large mine in Nunavut
- Counsel for a former owner of a large contaminated site concerning remediation work
- Counsel for contractors in pursuing numerous multi-million dollar lien claims, including lien claims against mineral leases
Education & Bar Admissions
- B.A., University of British Columbia, 2000
- LL.B, University of British Columbia, 2006
- Called to the Bar of British Columbia, 2007
Rankings & Recognitions
Appointments & Activities
- Editor and author, British Columbia Builders Lien Practice Manual
- Contributing author, British Columbia Real Estate Development Practice Manual
- Committee member and chair, Builders Lien Act Reform Project Committee of the British Columbia Law Institute
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Chair of CLE BC, Builders Lien Update 2020, October 28, 2020
- Chair of PBLI, Construction in the Wake of the COVID-19 Pandemic, July 28, 2020
- Chair of PBLI, Construction 2021: Avoiding and Addressing Delay Claims, April 30, 2021