Michael was called to the bar in 2007. His practice is focused on commercial litigation, particularly construction law, creditors remedies, insurance matters, and shareholder disputes.
Prior to attending law school Michael studied civil engineering, became registered as a professional engineer with the Engineering Council of South Africa in 2002, and obtained four years of civil engineering work experience, focusing on structural design.
After completing law school and prior to joining Jenkins Marzban Logan LLP in 2011 Michael completed an internship with the Provincial Crown, clerked at the British Columbia Supreme Court, articled at a national law firm, and then practiced civil litigation in Vancouver.
Education and Bar Admission
- B.Sc. (Civil Engineering), University of Cape Town, 1997
- M.A.Sc. (Structural Engineering), University of British Columbia, 2000
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2006
- Called to the Bar: British Columbia, 2007
Michael has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia and has participated in many mediations. Michael’s litigation practice covers a number of areas, including the following:
- claims for breach of contract and negligence, including in the construction law context;
- builders’ liens;
- insurance law (particularly representing insureds were coverage has been denied);
- creditors’ remedies (including in the bankruptcy context);
- shareholder disputes;
- personal injury claims (primarily those arising out of motor vehicle accidents);
- professional negligence claims (plaintiff side only);
- trademark disputes; and
- administrative law (including professional regulatory work).
- Implied Undertakings in Commercial Litigation
- Accidental Waiver of Privilege, prepared for the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, June, 2013
- Effective Cross Examination of Experts on Scientific Evidence, presented at the Continuing Legal Education of BC’s course on Engineering Evidence in Civil Litigation
When not working Michael participates in a variety of outdoor sports including mountain biking, kiteboarding, and snowboarding.