Practicing in all areas of family law, Caitlin Heit assists clients with divorce and common-law separation, property division, parenting, guardianship, child and spousal support, marriage and cohabitation agreements, separation agreements, and protection orders. Caitlin strives to provide clients with clear and meaningful advice, and to work with them to achieve efficient resolutions. While Caitlin generally aims to resolve disputes outside of court, she is a strong advocate for her clients in court. She has appeared as counsel before the Provincial Court and the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
Caitlin is a member of the Canadian Bar Association Family Law Section in Vancouver and a volunteer family lawyer with the Virtual Legal Clinic program at Rise Women’s Legal Centre where she assists low-income women with their family law disputes. She is also a contributing author to the Continuing Legal Education Society’s Family Law Sourcebook for British Columbia and assists with updating the Continuing Legal Education Society’s Annotated Family Practice.
Before studying law, Caitlin completed an Honours Bachelor of Science in Oenology and Viticulture at Brock University followed by a Master of Science in Biotechnology. During her Masters, she was awarded the Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada and the Ontario Graduate Scholarship for her research on Icewine fermentation. As a law student, Caitlin volunteered with the Family Law Project at Student Legal Services and alongside family lawyers at the Edmonton Community Legal Centre. She also worked as a research assistant for the University of Alberta’s Faculty of Law in the areas of Aboriginal law, and international trade and investment law.
Education & Bar Admissions
- B.Sc. (Honours), Brock University, 2011
- M.Sc., Brock University, 2014
- J.D., University of Alberta, 2018
- Called to the Bar of British Columbia, 2019
Rankings & Recognitions
- Recipient, Alberta Law Foundation Grant for Family Law;
- Recipient, The Richard Oliver Law Group LLP Prize in Intellectual Property Law
- Recipient, The Merv Leitch QC Leadership Scholarship in Law
- Recipient, Distinguished Graduate Student Award
Memberships & Associations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Assisted Jane M. Reid with preparing presentation titled “Navigating Family Law during COVID-19” for Pacific Business & Law Institute conference, September 2020
- Assisted Scott L. Booth and Jane M. Reid with preparing presentation titled “The Use of Spousal Support Review Orders in Canada” for the National Family Law Conference, July 2018
- Assisted Scott L. Booth and Jane M. Reid with writing paper titled “The Use of Spousal Support Review Orders in Canada,” Canadian Family Law Quarterly 38.1, December 2020