Jeeti Bhupal is a lawyer in our construction law group. Her practice is particularly focused on contractual disputes and issues pertaining to builders liens, although she has experience working on a wide range of other construction and commercial litigation matters. Jeeti has worked with owners, general contractors and subcontractors, among others, on matters related to construction projects of varying type, size and complexity. She takes a results-oriented approach and offers practical advice and solutions to assist her clients with resolving their legal issues and disputes in a manner consistent with their individual goals. To that end, she has experience with a number of dispute resolution processes including negotiation, mediation, litigation and arbitration.
While pursuing her Juris Doctor at the University of Victoria, Jeeti won several competitions both individually and as a teammate, including the BC Law Schools Moot which Jeeti’s team won, with Jeeti tying for second place as the highest scoring oralist. Jeeti was also recognized by her graduating class as a peer that fosters genuine friendships and exemplifies an enthusiasm for learning in all aspects of life via the Josef Zagrodney Award. Following law school, Jeeti articled and practiced in the construction disputes group of a global law firm.
- Discharge of builders lien claims by multiple lien claimants on large projects under project-related time pressure.
- Complex multi-party disputes for breach of contract involving set-off and counterclaims.
- Successfully negotiated payment for work completed by a subcontractor from an owner despite their having contracted directly with a general contractor.
- Successfully negotiated dismissal of an action for negligence against an individual.
- Co-counsel for an independent power producer in a claim for breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation.
Education & Bar Admissions
- B.A., Kwantlen Polytechnic University, 2014 – Graduated with distinction
- J.D., University of Victoria, 2020
- Called to the Bar of British Columbia, 2021
Memberships & Associations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Author, “How the West is Liened: A comparison of builders lien legislation in British Columbia and Alberta”, Dentons Insights, August 22, 2022
- Author, “Secondary market liability: Lessons for mining issuers arising from the first merits decision in Canada”, Dentons Mining Law Canada Blog, June 24, 2021
- Author, “Secondary market liability: Holding experts and mining executives accountable”, Dentons Mining Law Canada Blog, June 9, 2021