Vanessa was called to the Bar of British Columbia in 2012 and the Bar of Alberta in 2015. Her practice is focused in the area of construction law. Prior to joining Jenkins Marzban Logan LLP, Vanessa articled and practiced civil and commercial litigation, insurance defence and construction law at a regional boutique firm in Vancouver.
Outside the office, Vanessa is President of the Association of Canadian Construction Women and volunteers her time as a mentor to law students through the Canadian Bar Association Student Mentorship Program. She regularly provides lectures and seminars to clients and industry groups and associations, including the Calgary Geotechnical Society and at the University of British Columbia (Department of Civil Engineering, Master of Engineering Leadership Program).
Vanessa has appeared before the Provincial Court and Supreme Court of British Columbia in Chambers, for judicial review hearings and at trial. Vanessa has been counsel at mediations and arbitrations, including the arbitration of delay, extra work and deficiency claims following the construction of hydropower facilities on Vancouver Island and in northern British Columbia. Vanessa’s experience also includes a complex stadium construction litigation matter and the commercial arbitration of insurance coverage disputes. Vanessa regularly advises clients, including developers, contractors, project managers and trade contractors, on builders liens, contract disputes, cost overruns and delay claims.
Education and Bar Admission
- B.A., Humber College, 2008
- J.D., University of British Columbia, 2011
- Called to the Bar of British Columbia, 2012
- Called to the Bar of Alberta, 2015
- President, Association of Canadian Construction Women
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch) and Construction Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution and Civil Litigation Subsections
- Former Co-Chair, Young Lawyers (Vancouver) Subsection, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch)
Vanessa enjoys her free time with her husband, their toddler and two rescue dogs.