Achieve professional excellence and have fun (and a life) at the same time!
JML seeks to hire lawyers with 1-5 years of experience to work with our construction and infrastructure group. The successful candidates will have sound judgment, strong oral and written communication and advocacy skills, and an eagerness to learn and develop to achieve a standard of excellence in the practice of law. Knowledge of the construction industry, the Builders Lien Act, and e-discovery processes and platforms are an asset but not required.
Why choose JML?
At JML, the partners are invested in the success of the associates. The continued success of the firm is a direct reflection of a supportive and collegial working environment, individualized mentorship pairings and plans, support for personal development, client relationships and entrepreneurial practice development. At JML:
- The quality of clients and the work is exceptional.
- The billing expectation is 1,575 hours per calendar year.
- The compensation is competitive and consistent with the salaries paid by other top law firms in Vancouver that have significantly higher targets.
- Base salary is $109,000 plus bonus, depending on year of call.
- Mid to senior-level associates are provided with opportunities for lucrative and rewarding practice development, including opportunities to be compensated on a revenue share deal that takes into account factors such as fees collected, the value of work originated, years meeting target, etc.
Our associates work on a range of matters, including:
- Collaborating with a team on complex litigation and arbitration matters led by experienced counsel who are top lawyers in construction and infrastructure law.
- Taking day-to-day conduct of smaller or less complex matters from pleadings through to resolution.
- Providing support to leading construction solicitors on contract drafting and negotiation matters.
- Filing and enforcing claims of builders liens, including taking conduct of matters and providing support on more complex lien matters under the supervision and guidance of leading builders lien lawyers.
Although many of our lawyers focus on construction law, the firm supports associate lawyers in the development of other practice areas and various of our lawyers work on commercial litigation (shareholder disputes, real estate transactions, etc.), insurance coverage, and professional regulatory matters.