John Logan, K.C.
A JML founding and managing partner, John Logan focuses on commercial disputes as counsel, arbitrator, mediator, referee, or project neutral. He has been involved in the resolution of hundreds of disputes across Canada, including many major projects involving transportation, telecommunications, hydro, and oil and gas.
John is an acknowledged leader of the British Columbia construction bar, as counsel and neutral. He has long been included in the Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada. He has an AV Rating from U.S. ratings agency Martindale and Hubbell in both commercial and construction litigation. He is currently Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year” for construction law in Canada, Doyles Guide’s market leader for construction law in B.C., and one of Lexpert’s three most frequently recommended construction lawyers in B.C. He is listed by Who’s Who Legal as one of B.C.’s top mediators and construction lawyers.
John is involved in the activities of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Vancouver International Commercial Arbitration Centre. He is on the latter’s Application and Appellate panel. He has chaired countless legal and industry conferences on commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution. Along with being one of the original authors of the British Columbia Builder’s Liens Practice Manual, he taught the builder’s lien course to almost every Professional Legal Training Course class for 25 years.
Through his philanthropic endeavours, John has helped raise money for the Lawyer’s Benevolent Society as both a fundraiser and performer in the “Battle of the Bands.” His other charitable involvements include The Ride to Conquer Cancer and the Alzheimer’s Hockey Tournament. An ardent fan of community sport he devotes time to supporting and volunteering for baseball, soccer, and track and field programs.
- Acting as arbitrator or participating in dispute resolution panels for a variety of construction and commercial matters involving, among other things, federal highway construction, hydro-electric projects, shipbuilding, public transit matters, oil sands disputes, environmental disputes and commercial and industrial rent reviews
- Acting as Referee between a provincial government and a contractor on public transit issues
- Acting as Fairness Commissioner in government procurement processes
- Acting for various Project Cos or Design Builders in relation to a variety of P3 disputes in British Columbia and the Northwest Territories
- Acting for a subcontractor in resolving a dispute with an international general contractor involving the design and construction of a coal terminal stacker-reclaimer
- Acting for a heavy civil contractor in a dispute with an international contractor relating to biomass plant construction
- Acting for Vancouver’s largest high-rise residential developer against the designers and constructors of twin Vancouver high-rise towers in one of B.C.’s first high-rise “leaky condo” claims
- Acting for a large group of unpaid contractors and material suppliers in advancing a claim against a national surety company all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada
- Acting for the general contractor against the owner and a sub-contractor in a multimillion-dollar dispute involving the refit of a Vancouver Grain Terminal
- Acting for B.C.’s largest privately owned forest products company on a multi-million dollar claim brought by a private landowner
- Acting as counsel in several construction tendering cases, including three leading cases, Fred Welsh v. B.G.M. Construction, Stanco Projects v. Her Majesty the Queen, and Hub Excavating v. Orca Estates
- Acting for the developer against the general contractor and the strata corporation in relation to very significant claims for construction deficiencies and delays on a downtown Vancouver twin high-rise tower project
- Acting for one of two shareholders of a large B.C. construction company in a multi-year string of disputes arising from the dissolution of the company
- Acting for two of the first strata corporations to advance and resolve “leaky condo” claims involving large, multi-unit, wood frame construction projects in B.C.
Education & Bar Admissions
- LL.B., Dalhousie University, 1982
- Called to the Bar of British Columbia, 1983
- Called to the Bar of Nova Scotia, 1986
Rankings & Recognitions
- Ranked by Lexpert as one of two most frequently recommended construction lawyers in British Columbia
- Ranked by Doyles Guide as the market leader for construction, engineering and infrastructure lawyers in British Columbia
- Recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for construction law (2014, 2021)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada for work in alternative dispute resolution, construction law, and corporate and commercial litigation
- Rated “AV” in commercial and construction litigation from Martindale & Hubbell
- Ranked by Chambers and Partners as one of the best lawyers in Canada
- Rated by Who’s Who Legal as one of the top construction lawyers and mediators in Canada
- Recognized by CLEBC as one of its most prolific volunteers in the past 20 years
Appointments & Activities
- Fellow, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
Memberships & Associations
- Canadian Bar Association of British Columbia
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- British Columbia Arbitration and Mediation Institute
- British Columbia Construction Association
- British Columbia Urban Development Institute
- Vancouver Regional Construction Association
- Western Canada Commercial Arbitration Society
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
John chairs and speaks at numerous conferences annually, focused on litigation, arbitration and mediation topics.
John contributes numerous articles on litigation and arbitration topics.