Bill practises in the areas of commercial and construction litigation. Bill’s commercial litigation practice encompasses all types of business disputes, including claims involving the real estate industry. In construction matters, Bill has acted for various participants in the construction industry including owners, contractors and subcontractors. Bill has extensive experience in complex litigation matters, and in the resolution of disputes through mediation, arbitration and trial proceedings.
After graduation from law school, Bill spent a year as a law clerk with the British Columbia Court of Appeal. Bill then practised for 14 years with and became a partner of a large national law firm, leaving that firm to practise on his own for two years before joining Jenkins Marzban Logan LLP.
Bill is very active in the Canadian Bar Association, having served in a number of capacities at both the national level and with the BC Branch. He was President of the BC Branch for 2017–2018, and now serves as Past President.
Education and Bar Admission
- B.A.Sc.: University of British Columbia, 1986
- LL.B.: University of Victoria, 1990
- Called to the Bar: British Columbia, 1992
- Acting for contractors and owners in construction disputes involving allegations of delay, defective work, claims for extra and improper termination
- Acting for owners, vendors and purchasers in a variety of real estate disputes.
- Acting for landlords and tenants in a variety of leasing disputes
- Acting in strata property disputes for both owners and strata corporations.
- Acting in various disputes involving claims for professional negligence involving professionals involved in the real estate and construction industries.
- Acting for parties to various types of corporate, partnership and joint ventures in disputes arising from their arrangements.
- Acting in cases involving allegations of commercial fraud and breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Acting in cases involving injunctions and equitable remedies, including Mareva injunctions and Anton Piller orders.
- Acting in a number of jurisdictional disputes involving determination of jurisdiction and the appropriate forum for a dispute.
- Martindale Hubbell has given Bill a BV ranking.
- President, BC Branch, Canadian Bar Association (2017-2018)
- Chair, CBA National Civil Litigation Section (2013-2014)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers Association of BC
- “Injunctions and Urgent Remedies” [Continuing Legal Education Society course on Commercial Litigation]
- “Waiver of Privilege in an Assessment of Special Costs” in The Advocate, vol. 64, part 3, May 2006
- “B.C. legislation results in major evolution of court jurisdiction” in The Lawyers Weekly, vol. 26, no. 13, August 11, 2006
- Changes to BC Hydro Contract, May 2013
- B.C.’s New Limitation Act Now in Effect, June 2013
- Summary Trials in British Columbia: Slicing, Hybridizing and Changing Culture; CBABC Conference, April 2016 and CBABC PD seminar, November 2017
Outside the office, Bill has been actively involved in minor hockey – he is the former President of the Vancouver Thunderbird Minor Hockey Association (2011-2013) and also served for three years as a Director with BC Hockey (2013 – 2016). Bill has also been a leader with Scouts Canada and was a founding director of the Voci Crescendi Society which operates the Zing! Children’s Choir.